Up to 1836, Concord Township was a part of Spring Arbor. When it was first set off into a distinct Township it included the territory now comprised within the Townships of Pulaski and Concord. In 1837, however, Pulaski was made a distinct Town, and the present limits of the Township of Concord were established.
The first Township meeting was held at the store of Ira Jacobs in April 1836; Thomas McGee was elected as Supervisor and Isaac Van Fossen, Township Clerk.
The first school was opened in 1835, and taught by Miss Mary McGee.
The first tavern was opened by Jerry Reynolds; it was located about one mile east of the present Village of Concord. In 1828 Andrew Brown erected a flouring mill on the Kalamazoo River, one mile east of the town.
The Township is a fine agricultural region, well watered, rich sandy loam, producing splendid crops of all kinds. There is also quite an abundance of fine timber land.
This history was taken from a book “Historical Atlas of Jackson County, Michigan”, Illustrated by Everts & Stewart 1874, supplied by John Pardee, Concord Township Trustee.